Saturday, July 07, 2012

The Pilgrimage

Paulo Coelho once said:

When you travel, you experience, in a very practical way, the act of rebirth. You confront completely new situations, the day passes more slowly, and on most journeys you don’t even understand the language people speak. So you are like a child just out of the womb. You begin to attach much more importance to the things around you because your survival depends upon them. You begin to be more accessible to others because they may be able to help you in difficult situations. And you accept any small favor from the gods with great delight, as if it were an episode you would remember for the rest of your life“.

This is true in my own life, the life that I lived thus far. After College I knew I wanted to travel more than anything. Through my journey both in miles and within, I have surrendered to the parts of my life that I couldn't bare to let go and also the ones that I couldn't control. I have come to learn that the best way to get over a really bad situation is to just sit there for a moment and revel in the fact that there is absolutely nothing to be done, but be sure that those are the memories we cherish forever and carry throughout our lives.

I have come to view the world differently and open myself up in a way I would have never done before. I learnt to let go of burdens weighing me down and moving past difficult times in life. I learnt to cherish strangers around you and to accept your fate whatever it may be. I have come to learn that you must stop resisting in all of life's uncertainties and feel good in the state of "not-knowing" what the future holds. The best journeys are those of chaos and unpredictability.

Although my journey is not even close to being finished, I know I will learn so much more along the way. I will learn what I need to in order to make it to my next chapter. As my life is being written, I wait in anticipation of what is to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment