Monday, January 20, 2014

Miss Representation

I have been holding off on writing something for January because I wanted to start the year off with something powerful. After watching the documentary Miss Representation I have further reinforced my belief that it's hard being a powerful woman in this mainstream world.

All my life I grew up wanting to be a powerful woman and a role model. I wanted to have a great job, be well educated, be respected in society, be accomplished, and be confidant in my abilities and capabilities in the workplace. I have always been a "girly-girl" so I have always struggled to find my place as a woman in sports and mostly male-dominated industries. People have always made comments like: "Where are your heels?" Growing up in a northern community where most girls played hockey, played sports, went hunting and fishing, it was difficult to be "me."

For a long time I wanted to be a teacher. I loved the idea that I could be with children all day and spend the summer with my own. After I quickly discovered that teaching wasn't for me I wanted to be a criminal lawyer. I must admit that I felt as though I wasn't good enough and probably wasn't going to make it anyhow. It's sad to admit that I gave up my dream on the basis of what mainstream media told me. That being a powerful woman means (pardon my language) but it meant being a "bitch." I didn't want to be that and I knew it wasn't me. I knew I was going to be judged by my appearance and not much else.

When did intelligence become "not good enough?" When did wearing revealing clothing and worrying about our weight until we diminished into nothing made us more in the eyes media and men? When did women start caring about the opinions of others? Why is it now that I have gained some weight I am not as "hot" or "sexy" as before. I am the exact same person with new reinforced principles and values. I am more intelligent than I once was. I am a graduate and very well educated. I work out every day and I am a health fanatic. Why is it that women are mostly judged by their appearance? I remember getting a really tough to get meeting because of my looks. I quickly realized that all he was interested in were my looks and not what I had to say. As women, we don't have to sell  ourselves to get to the top quicker.

Now, most of all, I know for a fact that I want to be powerful anyhow. I want to be part of that small percentage of women who write and hold successful positions. Women who are in authoritative positions and women who are in mostly male-dominated industries. I have long said that my role model is Ivanka Trump. She is my definition of an empowering, successful, and feminine woman. Before her, I was ashamed to admit that I was into fashion, dance, modelling, and business. I was afraid to say that the fashion industry is worth over $1.5 trillion globally and that the sporting industry is only worth $480 billion globally.

This post is to empower women to become all they can be and to not let anything get in their way. To speak out and not be afraid to be less than the are. To not cut ourselves short for the benefit of others. This is to say that you can be a mother, a wife, and a world leader all at the same time. This post is also to inspire men to love and support their powerful women and let them be "them." This post is to provoke change in what we let our children see on television and the internet to protect their innocence. Being a woman shouldn't feel like a disadvantage, it should feel like a blessing. Women create life everyday. Let's stop this stigma of name calling and treating each other like enemies. We need support and respect from each other. Let's see what we can all accomplish together!

No comments:

Post a Comment