Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hymn to the Sea

I sit here today writing about my adventures on board some of the biggest ships in the world all the while listening to possibly the most devastating soundtrack in the history of music, Titanic.

I say devastating because this  story exists because of a horrible tragedy. It was told only by it's survivors. This blog today is about love, travels, and ships.

I can't express how much this story breaks my heart. I know many of you have watched the movie and ended it with tears. I have spoken on several occasions what it was like to live on a ship but as of now I never expressed the erie feeling you get looking out in the middle of the ocean in the dead of night.

I never imagined in my wildest dream that I would ever have a chance to be on the world's biggest ship to date and probably forever more. This ship housed almost 10,000 passengers and crew members. As you go in the front of the ship and stare as the black water rumbling around your ship you can't help but feel this loneliness. Millions of people have since sailed the ocean. Some with great results and other with regretful tragedy. You have this feeling of isolation that inhabits your heart. You know that if anything happens, you are alone.

Titanic was one of the greatest tragedy that ever occurred in the middle of the Atlantic. The 1997 movie was told through a love story about a poor man who meets a rich girl and falls in love through their travels from Ireland to New York. Somewhere in the middle, the unsinkable ship failed and almost 2,000 passengers and crew members felt its wrath, they perished in the ocean to always be remembered.

My experience on the ship has been one to never forget. I remember getting to the port and looking up at that gigantic ship. I embarked with all my belongings and set out for a journey that was so unexpected. I settled in the 1st floor in my top bunk with my French roommate. As I lay down I started thinking of Titanic and what I remembered from that 1997 theatre experience. The ship that I was currently on was much like the one that now sleeps deep into the ocean. The experience felt the same. That moment we left was just like in the movie we all stood at the top deck and waved goodbye to our loved ones. That evening was much like any other, dinner and socializing. That night I went to the front of the ship to the bow and stood there amazed. I laid on the bench looking up at the stars. I knew in my heart that this would be "home" for months to come.

We ate dinner at a dining room much like the one on the ship, we enjoyed all it's amenities and partied much like the movie depicted. For the first time in my life at that point I felt full of life. I knew months from then that I would be doing the same trajectory as the Titanic did in April of 1912. Although I survived, almost 2,000 lost their lives that faithful night in 1912.

This is for all those who have lost their lives at sea or on the oceans. Not a day goes by that I don't think about that accident. I am so thankful to have felt what they did upon embarking and to have seen how black and ominous the water is in the dead of night. The pure silence of the waves hugging the ship, and the lights and sounds echoing away.

Although we know that the story of Jack and Rose was fiction, every romantic on this planet can't help but believe it was true. Something in me wants to believe that no one was alone that night. People survived for the greater good and each and every one of them harboured a secret the next new nothing about. The ones who survived, then went on to meet a great mate, bought a house, had kids, and lived a great life all to return to the ocean at the end to find closure to an amazing adventure. See life and love is the adventure we all seek, not the "traveling of the world." Traveling means nothing if you're not with the person you love the most. This is for all those who have loved and lost, who have taken the long way, have revelled in being lost, and finally who have fallen in love and never looked back. This is also for those who have lost their lives to mother nature. May you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment