Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Love in the Wild

Love in the wild, yes I said it right. It's a free for all once a gorgeous girl comes onboard any ship. All the men want to grab her attention. We go back to kindergarden where the boy who likes the girl steals her cookies so she runs after him.

I am talking about falling in love on board and relationships afterwards. Can one really fall in love under these circumstances? Only those who are there understand our loneliness. We know no one at first. Many people couple-up during their contracts and some stay together afterwards.

This always fascinates passengers, by that I mean our relationships, if we are allowed to date or even live together. Let me clarify this mystery for all.

Yes, we are allowed to date each other, but not passengers. Now, once the passengers are off the ship then they are free game. We can live together provided we are a registered couple. By that I mean we must go to the crew office and sign documents stating that we are a couple or married and we choose to live together. On average there are roughly a hundred and twenty couples who work onboard. Most I would say met onboard, but I have seen a few who have come together from their country.

Falling in love while working in ships is pretty likely. I don't know if it has something to do with understanding the isolation, living a dream, or just being a romantic at the bow of the ship pretending you're on the Titanic. Some couples actually get married and then leave ships for a stable life on land.

Here in the picture I have my good friends from Ukraine, Maksym and Iryna. They fell in love while working on ships. They are both from the same country but never met until Royal Caribbean reunited them.

No comments:

Post a Comment