On November 14, 2010 I met the russian hockey team. As I was asking the translator words in Russian so I could communicate with the team, one Russian man was impressed by how well I was understanding and speaking Russian.
He gave me tickets to his gave the following night which was against the OHL. The whole team signed my tickets. Something intrigued me about him.
As he was leaving we said goodbye and he said I was very beautiful. Then he walked away. Half way out the door he comes back like in fairy tales and asks me if I have Skype so we can keep in touch. I told him I did and we exchanged Skype names. We talked almost all night about anything and everything.
After work the following day, realizing that I missed the game, I get a text from my new Russian friend asking if I would like to see him. I said, “Of course.”
I took him to this amazing place that have drinks and beers from all around the world figuring there would be a Russian beer. We had such great conversations that I really didn’t want it to come to an end.
As we sat there, he turned around pointing and smiling at the train and said: "Back in Russia, my team is called Lokomotiv."
We were so much alike and I found it bizarre that someone across the world could be so much like me in every way. He was a gentleman all night, opening doors, paying for drinks, walking on the traffic side, taking off my jacket, and so on. He was super social, friendly and easy on the eyes. He was super cultured and mature and we had such great conversations. His hockey number was 14 which is funny because we met on the 14. My favourite month is November and of course we met in November.
The night had to come to an end and after we parted and said we would continue talking on skype, I asked myself: “Why do we get these amazing people in our lives, and then they leave or get taken away from us?”
When he left, I felt this emptiness inside of me that wasn’t going away. I liked him a lot and I missed him even though I only knew him a short amount of time.