Thursday, June 02, 2016

Being a Mom

This is my first mother's day after my baby has been born. Some have told me that while I was pregnant last year, mother's day counted so I guess it's my second mother's day. I haves much to say about being a first time mom. Things that have surprised me and things I underestimated. Let me tell you what being a mother means to me as I celebrate my first (or second) mother's day.

Since the day I found out I was pregnant, I fell in love with someone I didn't know and had never met. I always thought that I was going to love my unborn child, but never knew just to what extent. There are no words to even describe the love I felt really. All I knew is that it was my responsibility to protect this little human that depended on me.

It was important for me to make sacrifices while I was pregnant and that was completely fine with me seeing as I couldn't wait to be a mom. From the moment I found out, I instantly went into "mom mode" and became a total "mama bear." I never knew until that moment how far I would go to defend my baby.

Giving birth is like an out-of-body experience. The experience is all a blur but through it all, I knew I needed to be strong for my daughter. Labour is intense and painful. It's really indescribable. The moment i saw her little face and tiny little body with mini fingers and toes, I was so in love even though she was somewhat a stranger. Over the next few hours, days, weeks, and months I have gotten to know her. What she likes and dislikes. I got to see her personality flourish and mature. It was the first time in my life that I would make decisions for someone and their future lied in my hands completely.

Being a mother has been the biggest blessing of my life and I am sure my husband feels the same way. Being a mother is giving everything even if you have nothing left to give inside you. Being a mother is loving someone so deep and so hard infinitely. Being a mother has changed me. The things that used to matter don't and the things that didn't matter now do. It turned my world upside-down.

This is to all the hard working mothers out there. Mothers who work 24/7 with no pay, benefits, or vacation. We do it all for love, kisses and hugs. You all deserve so much more than a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment